Sunday, October 30, 2011

Revlon PhotoReady foundation review



I've been trying to wean myself off of powder mineral foundations, mainly because I think they don't really go well with my skin type.  They tend to fade too quickly, make my oily spots more oily and my dry spots to dry.  I do have some high expectations when it comes to what I want in a liquid foundation.  Staying power is top priority, can't oxidize, must feel light on the skin, medium coverage, and oil control.  Before I spend top dollar on department foundations I thought I would test the 'supposed' best of the drugstore.  Revlon's foundations are highly recommended by the beauty community, and since I'm a liquid foundation newbie I thought I'd try the lighter of the bunch.

What Revlon says:

Revlon PhotoReady Makeup - for poreless, airbrushed skin in any light. Photochromatic pigments bend and reflect light to erase every flaw. Complete, yet undetectable coverage. Soft, luminous finish. 

- Oil free
- Fragrance free
- SPF 20

What I think:

I was a little nervous, since this was my first time ever...EVER...using liquid foundation.  Even though I have watched countless Youtube tutorials on how to apply liquid foundation, sponge, brush, fingers.  I decided on using the foundation brush that came with the 24 piece brush set I bought off Ebay.  Its a nice size synthetic foundation brush.  

The foundation comes with a pump which makes it very easy to use.  I used one pump for my whole face.  It blended amazingly well and the one pump was probably more then enough for my entire face.  The color match was also very good.  I used the shade Shell which is the third lightest shade, usually I am the second lightest shade in foundations, for reference.  

I noticed that the foundation contains some sparkles or shimmer, which doesn't really bother me since I only noticed it on the back of my hand and not my face.  The coverage is a great deal better then my mineral foundations, which is something my mum noticed she said I looked like a porcelain doll, my skin was so perfect.  

The best part was how this foundation felt like nothing...like I wasn't wearing foundation...scores huge points with me:)  The wear was around 4 hours before I started noticing my oily spots showing through, but this honestly did not really bother me.  

The only real issue with this foundation...I found when I started taking pictures.  It makes me look like a ghost.  With or without flash I appear ridiculously pale in pictures with the Revlon PhotoReady foundation.


 Pictures taken right after application in natural light with flash

You can really see in the second picture the difference in color from my neck to my face, and let me assure you it blended quite evenly with my skin tone in natural light.


Pictures taken 4 hours after application

As you can see around the four hour mark, my oily spots started to shine through around my nose and cheeks.  But the foundation faded away pretty evenly as you can see there are no streaks:)

All in all... I think, despite how I look in pictures the pros outweigh the cons of this foundation.  I probably would repurchase PhotoReady again, just because I love how lightweight it feels, and the coverage.  If you have not tried this I recommend you pick it up for around $15-$20 CAD you really can't go wrong.  I'm excited to try Revlon Colorstay foundation since I've heard great things, get ready for a post on that:) XOXO Charis

5 comments:

  1. I saw this at the drugstore, but hesitated to buy it. There are no testers, but after having read your review I definitely want to buy it now.

    P.S You're really pretty.
    Also thank you for following me on Twitter :)

    http://in2gloss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this foundation and I LOVE it :) I should do a review soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didn't like this on my oily skin and the shimmer was too much for me. It did photograph well though!
    It looks lovely on you & I love that lipcolour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please stop making that duckface. You will look much better/less idiotic. Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lipstick is this???

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...